Sometimes you need a side of plain white rice, sometimes egg fried rice and sometimes nothing but Japanese Garlic Fried Rice will hit the spot! This recipe packs a punch of flavor, is easy to make and relatively healthier than standard fried rice. It's my go to with my korean beef bowls and my Easy Chicken Shashlik Kabobs (recipe coming soon).
Per hot thai kitchen.com when you want rice with a little more flavor than just white rice but not as complicated to cook as traditional fried rice you cook Japanese garlic fried rice. My first introduction to this rice was at my favorite Japanese restaurant in Pakistan. I could eat just a bowl full of the rice for my entire meal!
With the help of my Instant Pot I've managed to create an easy and healthy version of an old classic. The best part is that I can whip it up in no time!
With traditional fried rice you need a day old rice and lots of butter to fry it in. In my version I use extra virgin olive oil and simply saute the garlic and raw rice before cooking it. The oil coats the grains of rice and gives them a nice nutty taste and fried texture.
The garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper and green onions give all the necessary flavor and the Instant Pot does all the work for you. Just one pan to clean and very little chopping and cutting.
If you feel the need to add more flavor, you can add one bouillon cube of chicken. Also feel free to garnish the rice with some sesame seeds for an added flourish!
try this recipe today! You will be making it again and again! Don't forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know what you thought of it!
Japanese Garlic Fried Rice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 cup basmati rice SEE NOTES
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ cup water
- ¼ cup green onions
- Put your instant pot on saute mode and heat the olive oil
- Add the garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds
- Add the rinsed and drained rice and saute for 1 minute
- Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute
- Add the water and close the lid on your instant pot
- Turn the knob to seal and set the timer on high pressure for 4 minutes
- After the 4 minutes are up do a 15 minute pressure release
- Gently open the lid, add the green onions, fluff and mix in he rice and serve