This quick and Easy Aloo Sabzi is a family favorite and my go to on busy days. As I cooked it the other day I was surprised I hadn't shared it on the blog yet!
The options are limitless and there are so many pairings that it's difficult to list them all. I'll list a few at the end of this post and let your imagination take over from there!
Potatoes were not a part of South Asian Cuisine until Portuguese traders introduced us to them in the early 17th century. But they quickly gained popularity due to their ability to adapt to the flavors of the dish being prepared.
Add to that the fact that they were affordable, filling and easy to store and they quickly became a very popular vegetable. In fact they are possibly the most popular vegetable globally!
Potatoes have gotten a bad reputation over the years with low carb diets being so popular. However, in reality, potatoes contain many nutritious properties as mountainharvestfoods.com lists:
- Fat free
- High in fibre
- Loaded with Vitamin B
- High in Vitamin C
- Contain lots of Potassium
- Hydrating (Yes! Potatoes are 80% water)
As you can see the case for adding potatoes to your diet is strong. Which is great for me because I love them!
Easy Aloo Sabzi Menu Pairing Options
Of course the aloo sabzi is great on it's own as a vegetarian option. However, Pakistanis love meat and often eat the sabzi as a side. Here are some meat recipes from the blog that you can pair the sabzi with
- aloo palak (spinach & potato curry)
Easy Aloo Sabzi
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp white cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 whole dried red chilies
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Heat the cooking oil
- Saute the garlic paste for 30 seconds
- Add the cumin seeds and saute for 15 seconds
- Add the mustard seeds and red chillies for 15 seconds
- Add the potatoes and fry for a minute or two
- Add the salt, chili powder and turmeric and fry for a minute
- Add the amchur powder, stir well to mix and add the 1 cup of water
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium high (SEE NOTES)
- Uncover and dry all the water on high (SEE NOTES)
- Garnish with cilantro and serve